Legalization of Documents

General Information

All documents must be submitted by hand or sent to the following address:

Consulate General of the United Arab Emirates in New York
305 East 47th Street.
7th floor
New York, NY 10017

Payments must be made with a Visa or MasterCard in person at the Consulate or online through the the E-payment Gateway found on the Ministry's main website, here


A prepaid, self-addressed return envelope or airway bill is required. Note: do not put the UAE Consulate as the return address. Write your name and address for the sender and recipient of the return envelope or airway bill. Putting the UAE Consulate name or address anywhere on the envelope or airway bill will result in considerable delays.

The Consulate requires a minimum of 1 business day to process any document.

Please contact the UAE Consulate's Consular Services Section if you have any questions: 212-419-7670.

Steps for the Legalization of Documents

  1. All legal documents need to be attested by the US Department of State prior to sending them to the UAE Consulate. For the US Department of State requirements, please call 202-647-4000 or visit their website.
  2. US Department of State
    Visit or send the document to the US State Department Authentication Division in Washington DC.
    Important: Please have the documents returned to you, not the UAE Consulate. This helps avoid the loss of documents during transit, and confirms that the Department of State processed your document.
  3. UAE Consulate
    Send or bring the authenticated documents to the UAE Consulate for final authentication:
    • Note: The Consulate is no longer accepting money orders or cashier's checks. You can pay the appropriate fee (list below, fees are per document) with a Visa or MasterCard in person at the Consulate. 
    • You can also process payments online through the E-payment Gateway found on the Ministry's main website, here
    • If you choose to pay online, please be sure to bring or send your payment confirmation email and reference number with your documents.
    • If you send the documents, include a pre-paid self-addressed return envelope. Write your name and address for the sender and recipient of the return envelope or airway bill.
    • Please do not combine documents, documents must be attested separately.

Certificate of Good Conduct

In order to get a Certificate of Good Conduct from the UAE, a fingerprint form must be legalized with the relevant US authorities, submitted to the UAE Consulate for legalization and then sent to the appropriate Ministry of Interior agency in the UAE.

Getting Fingerprints Legalized in the US​

  1. Fingerprint card authenticated by the US State Department Authentication Division
  2. An extra copy of each original document
  3. Appropriate Visa or MasterCard payment made in person at the Consulate or online payment processed through the Ministry's E-payment Gateway website here. Please call the Consulate at 212-419-7670 to confirm the appropriate fee. 

  4. A prepaid return envelope, with your name and address appearing on both the sender and the recipient fields

The address of the UAE Consulate in New York is:

305 East 47th Street.
7th floor
New York, NY 10017

Sending the Documents to the UAE

Once you have received the documents back from the UAE Consulate, you have to send them to the appropriate agency in the UAE. Please include the following items:

  1. The fingerprint form legalized by the UAE Consulate
  2. A copy of your previous residence permit in the UAE
  3. A copy of your recent passport
  4. Two (2) color passport-size photographs
  5. Proof of any required fees (depends on jurisdiction)

Send your packet to one of the two Ministry of Interior agencies below. 

General Department of Criminal Investigation
Permits and Certificates Section
Dubai Police General HQ
POB: 1493
Dubai, UAE
Tel: 971-4-2013484 / 2013564
Fax: 971-4-2171512 / 2660151

Police Department - Abu Dhabi
POB: 253
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Tel: 971-2-4196666
Fax: 971-2-4196563

We suggest sending the documents to a friend in the UAE, so that your friend can obtain the certificate from the Police Department on your behalf. This will greatly reduce the processing time compared to sending the documents directly to the Police Department.

Corporate and Legal Documents

IMPORTANT: Please call the Consulate at 212-419-7670 to confirm the appropriate fee. 

Fee: $544.59 Fee: $544.59
General Power of Attorney

Certificate of Good Standing


Free Sale Certificate/EP

Distribution Agreement, Agency...etc

Price List

Article of Incorporation, Registration

Financial Statement


Authorization of Agent




Board Resolution


Certificate of Incorporation


By Laws


US Patent Application


Trademark Application


Personal and Education Documents

Educational Documents

The UAE Consulate requests the following for educational documents:

In addition to the US Department of State attestation, please be advised that a Proof of Accreditation is required. The educational institution must be located in the US and regionally accredited by NEASC (CIHE), MSA (CHE), NCA (HLC), SACS (COC), NWCCU, or WASC (ACCJC-ACSCU). To show proof of regional accreditation, please visit the CHEA Database of Institutions and Programs and print your institution’s accreditation information.

IMPORTANT: Please call the Consulate at 212-419-7670 to confirm the appropriate fee. 

Fee: $40.84

Education Document (diplomas, degrees)

Birth Certificate, Fingerprints, etc.

Marital Status

Power of Attorney (Personal)

Certificate of Good Conduct

Newsletter Sign Up

Area(s) of Interest